Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Blogmas Day 2- DIY Christmas Gift!

Welcome to Blogmas Day 2! CHRISTMAS IS IN 21 DAYS, PEOPLE! In light of that fact, you guys realllly need to be figuring out what you're going to be getting me for Christmas.
Kidding. Totally kidding.
Maybe.
Anyway... DIY is so in right now- it's fun (sometimes), it's cheap (sometimes), and it's so much more special to the person you're giving it to (unless they wanted a real gift). Okay, all joking aside, when done right, DIY gifts are AWESOME.
Here's the areas I'm creative in- photography, writing, and decorating.
Here's the areas I'm not creative in- sewing, drawing, general cutting things out and gluing them down...
So, naturally, I picked up some yarn and decided to learn how to arm knit. That lasted, oh, ten minutes, before I threw the yarn down and screamed, "I GIVE UP!" As I was searching Pinterest to find something useful to do with my yarn, I stumbled upon the greatest invention in the world for people that are arm-knitting-deficient: FINGER KNITTING! Guys! This is SO easy, and actually fun! So, when I learned how to do it, my creative juices started flowing, and I got the idea to make a head wrap/ear warmer. Surprisingly, my first attempt was completely successful, and I now feel the need to share my wisdom with you people!

You will need:
Bulky yarn (the bulkier the better). Here's one of mine:
Scissors
Your fingers. If you don't have fingers, this project is going to prove difficult for you.


First, you have to know how to finger knit. If you don't already, here's the video that taught me:



Now, to make the ear warmer, you have to knit two strands of the same length, because finger knitting leads to very thin strands. To get the length right, I literally just kept knitting and putting it around my head to see if it was long enough yet. 
So, once you get your two strands: 


Simply start stringing them together. Just find loops to pull the yarn through and rotate until you get to the end. 

When you get done, there will be 3 "tails" on each end. Tie those together and cut two of them down, but leave one for tying purposes. This should by your final product:



I'm still working on my technique and stuff, so I'm not down to perfection quite yet, but I'm getting there. These would make great add-ons to gifts, or great as gifts by themselves. 



I hope you enjoyed Blogmas Day 2! Here's something to chew on until day 3:

Thanks for reading! 




No comments:

Post a Comment